Sunday, June 8, 2014

Nosotros llegamos!

We have arrived!!
The Campus of Casa Bernabe (CB) is BEAUTIFUL. The equatorial climate makes everything so green and it is rainy season so tons of flowers are in bloom. Below is a picture of the beautiful Casa Fortaleza, the dorm the we will call home for the next few months! and then a group picture on the basketball/futbol court!


I realized that I have not explained much about what CB is exactly but I'm gonna direct y'all to http://www.foce.org/?page_id=9 to read what they say about themselves, as well as explaining it a little bit myself.
The houses are all built along one edge of the campus. They are on a hill (which would easily pass for a mountain in Texas), right next to/below each other along the incline. These past couple days have been unscheduled in true Latin American fashion, a time for us to get to know the kids of Casa Bernabe and listen to the Lord's guidance about which house we will be adopted into for the summer!
There are 8 houses total, the baby house and a young kids house (with mixed genders), then 3 houses for the boys (separated into 3 groups according to age) and 3 for the girls (mostly mixed ages). You can see the names of each house and an adorable picture of each child if you go to http://www.foce.org/?page_id=81
Our role in our house will be to assist the house parents and today we determined which team member would be assigned to each house. I am in Casa Alabanza which is girls and boys ages 3-6! I spent one evening playing with those kids already and I can't wait for tomorrow when I will really begin spending my time with them! My Spanish is better than I expected ...but still not awesome, so I'm still working hard at that! Oh and one of the older girls in Casa Alabanza already assigned herself as my Spanish teacher when I told her (my thus far most used phrase) "Hablo un poco de espanol, pero yo estoy aprendiendo"
Today we also learned about the shifts that we will do in the Casa de los Angelitos (the baby house)! We (volunteered) to each take a night of the week so that the house parents and other workers can get full nights of sleep and one of us per night will stay up and get to care for a houseful of 13 babies once a week! Sounds insane but I'm really excited about it!
In church this morning, there was a visiting preacher who spoke about David and Goliath and (from what I understood of it) about about God's strength through us. He also spoke about how David acted based on his conviction, not based on the reactions to which our human nature is prone. I want to take that to heart this week; I want to learn for every day how to follow Christ by loving with the unconditional, unfailing love of the Lord and by working hard out of my conviction of his calling to humility and service, all for the Glory of His name!

No comments:

Post a Comment